|2016 in Review, LJ Style
||[02 Jan 2017|04:03pm]
Gosh, I haven't done one of these in so long!
1. What did you do in 2016 that you'd never done before?
Adopted 2 kitties. (I've always only had one at a time before)
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I believe that I did, and I believe that I will.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes, my step-brother and his wife had their first child this summer.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My nana, although she was 104, so it wasn't exactly unexpected.
5. What countries did you visit?
You might better ask what counties did I visit, and even then it would be a short list.
6. What would you like to have in 2017 that you lacked in 2016?
More energy, less pain.
7. What date from 2016 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
11/9 - as one friend put it, the day the country died.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Did my budgeting well enough that I was able to pull off Christmas without using my credit card!
9. What was your biggest failure?
I have yet to get to a dentist.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Just all the usual chronic stuff.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Well, it's called adoption fees - but bringing our two new buddies home, getting their vet checks in, buying all the supplies and treats and such to get them settled.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
All of the activists and organizations fighting the incoming presidential administration and everything they stand for. Calling out specifically - the ACLU, Planned Parenthood, Southern Poverty Law Center, Black Lives Matter, Stand with Standing Rock, Greenpeace, everyone fighting and working to improve the Flint water crisis, Elaine Welteroth the new editor-in-chief of Teen Vogue, Michael Moore, and idk so many others. But most especially all of the individuals working hard to make the world a little bit better.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Donald Trump, Mike Pence, Paul Ryan, Steve Bannon, and everyone who has worked for or with these guys and their cohorts, and everyone who voted for them or otherwise made it possible for them take power. And most especially all of the racist, sexist, islamophobic, xenophoic, homophobic asshats who took advantage of Trump's win to carry out attacks and acts of hate. Dishonorable mention to all of the single-issue voters who don't have hearts filled with hate but who voted the way they did anyway, knowing full well that they were voting for a racist misogynistic buffoon of a man just because he purports to be pro-life. In some ways, they depressed me the most.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Beyond the usual rent and food type costs, probably adopting our two guys, WisCon, and then Christmas shopping.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Taking our kitties home, WisCon, and the holidays. :)
16. What song will always remind you of 2016?
I can't think of a specific song for this year.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? Happier. Was still big-time grieving for Cleo, and now, while I still miss her every single day, I have Shisky and Sheldon to cheer me up.
ii. thinner or fatter? Thinner (though this is due to the nausea so it's not necessarily a good thing)
iii. richer or poorer? A little bit richer I guess? More like a little bit more financially stable, though.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Seen friends and family.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Feeling sorry for myself. I guess I needed to for awhile, but I'm glad I pulled myself out of it.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
I spent it with family - Christmas Eve with my mom and step-dad; Christmas day with them plus my brother, sil, and two nieces; the elder niece stayed over and the next day my step-sis, step-bro and his wife and baby, and the step's mom came over as well; the next day sil and younger niece came to pick up older niece and mom took me home. It was all absolutely wonderful and also absolutely exhausting.
21. How will you be spending New Year's Eve?
Spent it with Dave and his niece and her husband who came down to visit. They rented a little place through airbnb and we played games and she made us dinner, it was lovely.
22. Did you fall in love in 2016?
Just with the cats. (different kind of love, obvi)
23. How many one-night stands?
24. What was your favorite TV program?
I don't know how to choose such a thing, but some faves included Big Brother, Dark Matter, General Hospital, How to Get Away With Murder, Mr. Robot, Outsiders, Supergirl, UnReal, The Walking Dead, and You're the Worst.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
26. What was the best book you read?
I read a few good books, but my faves were probably the Patricia Briggs' Mercyverse novels that I started getting into and read my way through this year.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I don't think I got into any new music this year.
28. What did you want and get?
A new kitty friend - and I got two!!
29. What did you want & not get?
An answer to this nausea crap.
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
Deadpool and Ghostbusters were my faves, although I haven't gotten a chance to see Rogue One yet...
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 41 this year and my roomie, who shares my bday, turned 40. We split the bday weekend by playing games at our friend's house one day and let him choose the foods we ate and games we played, and then games at our place the next day and I got to choose the foods and games.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Bernie or Hilary winning the election.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2016?
Pajamas, once again, for the most part.
34. What kept you sane?
Well, I'll never be totally sane. But my cats, my roommates, my friends, my family, my internet access and cable TV/DVR go a long way - not to mention my meds. Ha, yes, my meds do a lot. lol
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
No one is coming to mind specifically.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
The presidential election and all of the fallout so far from it (he's not even in office yet!). Honorable mentions to Standing Rock, Brexit, and the Orlando shootings.
37. Who did you miss?
Shayla, who moved away on us. My nieces and really all of my family who I never get to see enough of. And my beloved Cleo, every day.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Lots of awesome folks at WisCon, as usual. :)
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2016:
That people can call you a friend, expect you to accept them as they are, and still take actions that have direct and harmful consequences to you and those you love. And that it's okay for that to make you mad, and to let go of them.
40. quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine?